Today's entry is dedicated to my support system.
Getting ready to be strapped to the kite fliers.
Day Three was pretty productive. I woke up bright and early
to be strapped to, what I thought was, the sled dog champion of 2013. I did not
run him, he ran me, up and down our street, a full mile. Earlier on in the
week, I was told you cannot say no to the dogs. We can only tell the dogs what
they can do. Ha ha ha! Well this dog can fly me up and down the driveway like a
kite. I told Kathleen that I did not
want to “walk” anymore dog sled champions. She assured me the dog I had was one
of the milder dogs and that he was also ten years old and retired.
The better part of days three and four were dedicated to
perfecting our “bed side manner”. We shoveled some beds, weeded some beds, put
some seedlings to bed, and watered some beds. We put together another green
house, which is not an easy task, especially with short people.
Alicia and I met the chickens. Well I put the chickens in
the coop while Alicia tended to the chicken statue that she had mistaken for a
real chicken.
I was worried that my off the grid location, would prevent
me from communicating with my students throughout Latin America. Well I was
wrong. I was pleased to find out that the internet is functioning properly so I
can maintain my online teaching job while I am residing at this rustic
ecolodge. I LOVE MY JOB!
Throughout the entire day on day four we were continually
attacked by these things that I was told were nats aka black flies. Man! We
have nats where I come from, but not ones that draw blood. Do not be alarmed! I
was reassured that these blood sucking insects are not known to carry any
diseases like ticks, fleas and spiders do. These little guys just use their
razor sharp teeth to slice and dice your skin then they suck your blood. No big
deal (see pictures below for details on the “not so big a deal”).
Despite the black flies dive bombing my trachea, the last
couple of days have been wonderful. I would like to take a time out to let you
know that I really appreciate the support I have received from my friends and
family. I have received many messages of encouragement via text, email and voice mail The encouragement helps. I am also super grateful for all the new
friends I am making here. Alicia is particularly supportive and we enjoy commiserating
and stretching together every evening. There is a pure feeling of solidarity
when you go through really tough times with another human being. When you go
through something super tough together, you really see what they are made of.
You really see what lies at their core and you learn a lot about their moral
codes and you learn it quickly. Alicia is made of kindness, a good sense of
humor (similar to mine), and enough tough stuff to get these, seemingly
impossible, tasks done!
Voicemails & Texts of the Week:
Friend One: This is fun talking to your answering machine
instead of you. This is great. I am walking down the street right now. It is
raining. It is freezing and I have flip flops on. Uhhh??? What else? I hope the
dog sledding and all that is going good. I don’t know how you are feeling, but
I feel really proud of you, because you are mad sick and you are doing more
motivational things than most American healthy people do, so that’s great.
That’s fabulous!
~~~~~~~~~~
Friend Two (laughing): Daaannieeellleee!!! What’s up my
dorkster! You are up in the middle of nowhere…an ecolodge or something like
that. Only you would call 5 seconds before leaving for a summer at an ecolodge
to say, “Well I just wanted to say goodbye. I hope you are doing well!” Soo anyway,
I’ll talk to you later (end message with zerbert noise).
~~~~~~~~~~~
Friend Three: I had a dream about you last night. I went out
to your retreat, was hugging you and telling you that you’re brave.
RR: I love you and your dream made my day.
Friend Three: I love you too. I’m glad you’re my friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friend Four: Do you think all that physical exertion is good
for you?
RR: No, but neither is being sick in a house by myself all
day, so I am going to give it a shot and see what I can do to contribute…if
anything. I guess if I can’t contribute much, I still have my wits and my good
looks…most of the time.
Friend Four: LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friend Five: Miss you.
RR: Really?
Friend Five: Is that so hard to believe? How is it there?
RR: It is beautiful, very difficult, and inspiring. I look
like I have chicken pox with all the black fly bites I got today.
Friend Five: How are you holding up?
RR: Sore, tired, but inspired. I feel like for the first
time in a long time I am doing something to save the planet and learning a
great deal more about sustainability. It feels good to be somewhere outside
where I have something to offer.
Friend Five: That’s wonderful. Is it cold there?
RR: No. It was, but not currently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Co-worker One: How are you?
RR: I am wonderful.
Co-worker One: No one is around. How are you really? Sorry
to keep asking you. I just know people who have had Lyme before. It must be
like doing all this hard work, but with a 75 lb weight strapped to your back.
RR: Thank you for saying that. It makes me feel super
strong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- RR: I love you. I keep thinking what a great time you would have here. I am so glad I chose you to be my Mom.
- Family One: I am so glad you chose me too and I love you too.
- RR: It is nice. Today was my first full day. I am really trying hard to contribute and I feel bad taking breaks when everyone else is working, but I am trying not to overdo it.
- Family One: At least you keep trying.
- RR: Thank you for saying that. It means a lot to me, especially coming from you. I may not show it all the time, but your opinion means the world to me.
- Family One: I know honey and you mean the world to me.
Thank you for the support everyone!
Gratefully Yours,
Radical Reina
Alicia thought it would be a great idea to pick up some white pants at the thrift store for her new job. I totally agree. What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment